30.01 DEPARTMENT ESTABLISHED. The police department of the City is established to provide for the preservation of peace and enforcement of law and ordinances within the corporate limits of the City.
30.02 ORGANIZATION. The department consists of the Police Chief and such other law enforcement officers and personnel, whether full or part time, as may be authorized by the Council.
PEACE OFFICER QUALIFICATIONS.
In no case shall any person be selected or appointed as a
law enforcement officer unless such person meets the minimum
qualification standards established by the
30.04 REQUIRED TRAINING. All peace officers shall have received the minimum training required by law at an approved law enforcement training school within one year of employment. Peace officers shall also meet the minimum in-service training as required by law.
(IAC, 501-3 and 501-8)
30.05 COMPENSATION. Members of the department are designated by rank and receive such compensation as shall be determined by resolution of the Council.
30.06 POLICE CHIEF APPOINTED. The Mayor shall appoint and dismiss the Police Chief subject to the consent of a majority of the Council.
30.07 POLICE CHIEF: DUTIES. The Police Chief has the following powers and duties subject to the approval of the Council.
1. General. Perform all duties required of the police chief by law or ordinance.
2. Enforce Laws. Enforce all laws, ordinances and regulations and bring all persons committing any offense before the proper court.
3. Writs. Execute and return all writs and other processes directed to the Police Chief.
4. Accident Reports. Report all motor vehicle accidents investigated to the State Department of Transportation.
5. Prisoners. Be responsible for the custody of prisoners, including conveyance to detention facilities as may be required.
6. Assist Officials. When requested, provide aid to other City officers, boards and commissions in the execution of their official duties.
7. Investigations. Provide for such investigation as may be necessary for the prosecution of any person alleged to have violated any law or ordinance.
8. Record of Arrests. Keep a record of all arrests made in the City by showing whether said arrests were made under provisions of State law or City ordinance, the offense charged, who made the arrest and the disposition of the charge.
9. Reports. Compile and submit to the Mayor and Council an annual report as well as such other reports as may be requested by the Mayor or Council.
10. Command. Be in command of all officers appointed for police work and be responsible for the care, maintenance and use of all vehicles, equipment and materials of the department.
30.08 DEPARTMENTAL RULES. The Police Chief shall establish such rules, not in conflict with the Code of Ordinances, and subject to the approval of the Council, as may be necessary for the operation of the department.
30.09 SUMMONING AID. Any peace officer making a legal arrest may orally summon as many persons as the officer reasonably finds necessary to aid the officer in making the arrest.
30.10 TAKING WEAPONS. Any person who makes an arrest may take from the person arrested all items which are capable of causing bodily harm which the arrested person may have within such personís control to be disposed of according to law.
30.11 CONTRACT LAW ENFORCEMENT. In lieu of the appointment of a police chief by the Mayor as provided by Section 30.06, the Council may contract with the County Sheriff or any other qualified lawful entity to provide law enforcement services within the City and in such event the Sheriff or such other entity shall have and exercise the powers and duties of the Police Chief as provided herein.